Saturday, September 12, 2009

What's Next For Time Style & Design?


I don't have a Time Magazine subscription. In fact, I don't think I need one since I already have CNN, but I always make it a point to buy a copy only if it comes with the Time Style & Design supplement. I'm not someone who buys every fashion magazine in the newsstands. In fact I swore off some magazines after reading their poorly-written articles and seeing their unimaginative editorials. Time Style & Design, however, made me a loyal follower with their journalistic approach to delivering fashion news. Unfortunately, I won't be getting my hands on any future issues due to the bad economy.

Time Style & Design will be suspending publication indefinitely due to the downturn in the luxury market. Kate Betts, the magazine's editor, will stay on at Time while four staffers were laid off. “We'd hope to bring it back when the economy improves”, a spokeswoman said.

I hope they do bring it back. Every time I browse through its pages I always head down to The A-List first to see which bags or shoes are selling like pancakes in different cities around the world. After that I read through Notebook to see what's going on in the fashion industry. In fact I learned in this section the approximate cost for producing a Badgley Mischka runway show.

I remember writing a piece back in college about the presence of ethnic models and their impact in the fashion industry. If it wasn't for Ling Woo Liu's article (“Color Lines on the Catwalk”, Fall 2008), I wouldn't have gotten a stellar grade. I even referred to the magazine's write-up on Anna Wintour and Donna Karan when I was writing on women heading the fashion industry.

Time Style & Design is filled with information you wouldn't normally find on any fashion magazine. If I sticked to just browsing through these magazines then I wouldn't have found out about Shamina Talyarkhan and Victoria Brynner and how important they are to the fashion industry. I wouldn't have known who Joshua Spanier is and how he sold Britney Spears' Curious back in 2004 if it wasn't for Time Style & Design.

Without Time Style & Design, I wouldn't have known some of the biggest names in the industry that I love. They will be deeply missed until they resume publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment